Pages

Monday 25 January 2010

Eddie's first experience with crafts

I must admit that I have always been exposed to crafts. My mother was a very all-around crafts woman back in the day. She knitted, sewed, weaved, worked metal and probably many other things that I don't even know about. To her credit she is currently getting back into it. My grandmothers spun wool, knitted and embroidered. Growing up me and my sister would do sewing projects with my mother, and my grandmothers both tried fruitlessly to teach me to knit. I just never took to it. Therefore, I think that instead of my first experience with craft (which I can't remember anyway) I will write about my first successful experience which came around the age of 20.

In my late teens and early twenties I spend time at my grandmother Agnes' house every week. She was getting increasingly frail and had a hard time seeing to do her cross-stitching so one day I had a go at fixing some of it for her. This was how I found out that if I wanted to I could do almost any craft I put my mind to. Every time I visited she let me sit and work on the piece she was currently working on and I soon became really fast and very neat at cross-stitch. My grandmother always complimented me for my neat back piece and it created a great bond between us.

It was this successful experience which lead to me trying out and finally succeeding in many other crafts such as crochet, knitting, bobbin lace, sewing, and many more.

2 comments:

  1. [...] Fellow co-founder Eddie has followed up on this with a post on her introduction to embroidery by her Grandmother Agnes. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthe Roued Olsen30 January 2010 at 11:47

    Hi
    Love dooing something with my hands. These days it´s mostly gardening and as a new hobby i´ve begun to paint. Just love it.
    Love Birthe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I would love to hear your thoughts on this post :-)