[caption id="attachment_1707" align="alignleft" width="164" caption="The Spinner by William-Adolphe Bouguereau "][/caption]
- Attach a piece of yarn (a leader) around the spindle.
- Draft out some of your fiber to spin in with the leader.
- Get your spindle to spin around and then park it between your knees.
- Draft out some of your fiber while holding a finger to make sure the twist does not travel up your fiber before you are ready.
- Let go of your finger and let the twist travel up your drafted fiber while using your fingers to stop the twist traveling further up your fiber.
- When you have spun a piece of yarn like this, unhook the yarn and wrap around the spindle leaving enough of a leader to continue.
For more tutorials have a look at this:
Drop Spindle Basics - YouTube video
Introduction to Spinning - a two part YouTube video series
Jody Moody from AlpacaDirect
Drop Spindle Fiber Spinning - YouTube video