Pages

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Learning to weave

I have been wanting to learn to weave for a while now but have also been keeping it of because I wanted to wait till I had access to my mothers six shaft floor loom again. Nevertheless, my friend Dawn decided to book me onto a weaving weekend with Mary Keer a fellow member of the Hampshire Weavers, Spinners and Dyers Guild. I didn't know what to expect, but I must admit it was one of the best experiences I have had in a long time. Mary is such a great teacher and in a weekend I managed to set-up a four shaft table loom and weave about a third of my 2.5m long wall hanging.
I borrowed the loom to take home and finish the wall hanging. I am so proud of the result and I am still a bit high on the feelings that weaving brought out in me. I have so far thought of myself as someone who is more into the finished product than the craft process itself. At least that is how I feel about knitting and crochet. But with weaving it seemed to be different. I just loved the process of passing the shuttle back and forth. It also gave me a weird sense of connection with my mother and other weavers in my family history.
So am I on my way out to buy my own loom? Well my husband was surprised to hear that I hadn't already bought one. But I must admit that they are a bit to expensive for me at the moment. I also still have my mothers I can use. But I will be looking into making my own table loom so watch this space for more on that.

The images in this post are copyright of Eddie Roued-Cunliffe. You are hereby granted permission to use them for non-commercial purposes as long as you credit Eddie and link back to this page. If you are using them and talking about this post I would love to hear from you in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by - I would love to hear your thoughts on this post :-)