Pages

Sunday 12 June 2011

Review: Sew Retro


Sew Retro: Simple Vintage-inspired Projects for the Modern Girl and a Stylish History of the Sewing Revolution
By Judi Ketteler, 2010
Voyageur Press

Reviewed by Eddie

Let me begin by saying that I love this book. There are a lot of books around at the moment focusing on the retro or vintage aspect of crafts. While this naturally thrills me I don't think that they all focus equally on the historic aspect, but this book does. It is divided into decades beginning with the 1800's and ending with the chapter "1980's to today".
Each chapter introduces the period and talks about different aspects of sewing in this period. In the 1800's we have "the cult of true womanhood". Later we explore how sewing gave women freedom to earn a living or to follow fashion.
Each chapter also includes a couple of patterns and a designer Q&A. The patterns are very nice too although I don't think they are the main attraction of the book. They are beautifully written and illustrated well with great period images. It's a fun and interesting book and I learned a lot from reading it. I would recommend it any day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by - I would love to hear your thoughts on this post :-)